We can help in several ways:

Voucher/Pantry Program

Call 2-1-1 to find out which partnering agencies are awarding vouchers today or visit www.211texas.org

Partnering voucher agencies meet with friends in need to determine eligibility for a food voucher. Once a voucher is awarded, the recipient can redeem the voucher at the South Plains Food Bank for a dry food box, freezer box, and perishable items as available.

To receive a voucher the minimum needed is:

1. Driver’s license or I.D.
2. Proof of address within the last 30 days (please contact the agency to confirm any other necessary documents)

To redeem your voucher the minimum needed is:

1. Charity Tracker ID
or Driver’s license or I.D.

2. Food Voucher

Some agencies operate as Pantry Agencies and are able to meet with friends in need to determine eligibility for a food bag/box onsite. Once approved for a food bag/ box the recipient will receive food from the agency. To receive food at these partnering Pantry Agencies, the items listed above are required.

To locate a partner or pantry agency, call 2-1-1 for assistance. Calling 2-1-1 will provide you with the most up-to-date information on which agencies are open and providing vouchers for the day.


On-Site Feeder and Soup Kitchen

Additional immediate available options include visits to an onsite feeding/soup kitchen. On-site feeding programs are non-profit agencies that provide meals to our friends in need one to three times per day at no charge. These programs can be shelters, soup kitchens, or custodial care facilities. Contact the site prior to arriving to confirm the information. Sites and information subject to change.

Click Here for More Information about Onsite Feeding/Soup Kitchen

Additional meals are provided to children under the age of 18 through our Kids Cafe and Summer Feeding Programs.

Click Here for More Information on Kids Cafe or the Children's Summer Meal Program

Mobile Pantry

Mobile Pantry is a South Plains Food Bank program similar to the Voucher Program listed above, but is specifically for friends in need in our rural communities. Mobile Pantry recipients receive a dry food box, freezer food box, and perishable items as available. The Mobile Pantry program services agencies in the following rural communities:

  • Anton
  • Brownfield
  • Crosbyton
  • Denver City
  • Floydada
  • Hale Center
  • Jayton
  • Levelland
  • Littlefield
  • Lockney
  • Lorenzo
  • Matador
  • Morton
  • O’Donnell
  • Olton
  • Petersburg
  • Plainview
  • Post
  • Ralls
  • Roaring Spring
  • Seagraves
  • Seminole
  • Spur
  • Tahoka
  • Whiteface
  • Wilson

The Mobile Pantry delivery schedule can be found HERE. Please note that, unless you have a Mobile Pantry voucher, arriving at a Mobile Pantry at distribution time does not guarantee a food box. To inquire about receiving a mobile pantry food box, contact our Director of Agency Services, Trine Solis-Jackson at (806) 763-3003 ext. 13.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.