How to Become a Volunteer
To ensure we have a spot for you, all volunteers are required to register online by using the widget on this page, at least 24 hours before the preferred date of service.
*NOTICE: IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL A REGISTRATION, YOU MUST DO SO 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE, OR EMAIL VOLUNTEER@SPFB.ORG. SPFB RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TURN AWAY VOLUNTEERS AFTER TWO NO-SHOW.*
Manager of Volunteer Services: Berry Massey
(806) 763-3003 ext. 112,
Here are a few things to know:
Ability to abide by the safety rules of a working warehouse. This includes wearing warehouse-appropriate clothing: closed-toed shoes (tennis shoes or work boots are preferred), long pants/jeans or walking shorts, no tank or crop tops.
If under 16, must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult. (In fact, we encourage families to work together! Saturday workdays are great for families.)
Individuals are welcome.
Groups working in the warehouse during regular hours (Monday through Friday) are required to schedule by 12 p.m. the Thursday prior to the desired date of service.
We are excited for you to volunteer with us!
Our volunteers are an essential piece of our organization and clock over 40,000 hours of service every year!
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION ON COVID-19
With rising concerns over the spread of COVID-19 nationwide, The South Plains Food Bank is taking steps to ensure the well-being of our staff, volunteers and those we serve. As part of this, the volunteer hours will be implementing additional protocols that go into effect Wednesday, March 18, and remain in place until April 15th at the earliest.
The new protocols for the SPFB Volunteer Program are as follows:
- The overall capacity of the Volunteer Room has been reduced
- Volunteers experiencing ANY symptoms of illness (cough, congestion, fever, etc.) are to remain home
- Staff will ask any person exhibiting signs of illness to go home
- Volunteers who have or are close to someone who has visited a country on the CDC watch list (wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel) must stay home
- People that are part of an at-risk population (older adults and those with serious chronic medical conditions) or anyone with regular contact with a person who is a higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19 should remain home
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older
- We will not be accepting any community service workers
- Groups of volunteers must be approved by the volunteer manager before registering
People are encouraged to visit the CDC’s website on COVID-19 for more information on the virus, who is at a higher risk, and how to prevent its spread. Visit cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
To continue our work of feeding the community, people are needed. The South Plains Food Bank is deeply grateful to everyone who volunteers, and we will take every precaution possible to protect your health. Any person with questions or concerns about volunteering should contact Volunteer Manager Berry Massey at firstname.lastname@example.org or (806) 763-3000 x 112 for more information.