Here are ways you can help make a difference this week:
- Preparing donated foods for distribution: such as, sorting donated food; repackaging dry and frozen food; packing dry and frozen.
- Helping in the kitchen.
- Working at reception desk (good telephone/people skills needed).
- Planning and working at various Food Bank on-going functions and special events.
- Opportunities are also available at Second Helpings soup kitchens and Kids Cafe programs. Contact the Food Bank for referrals to volunteer with these programs.
Regular Volunteer Opportunities
To become a volunteer:
- Regular hours are available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday work days are scheduled throughout the year from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. (See Calendar Page for list of available dates.)
- Individuals are welcome.
- Groups working in the warehouse during regular hours (Monday through Friday) need to schedule with Berry Massey, Volunteer Coordinator, 806-763-3003, (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Volunteers for the reception desk and special events should contact Berry Massey, Volunteer Coordinator, 806-763-3003, (email: email@example.com).
- Training is provided as needed.
Qualifications to be a Food Bank Volunteer are easy:
Volunteer Opportunities with other South Plains Food Bank, Inc. Divisions:
- A willingness to work.
- Ability to abide by the safety rules of a working warehouse.
* This includes wearing warehouse-appropriate clothing: closed-toed shoes (tennis shoes or work boots are preferred), long pants/jeans or walking shorts, no tank or crop tops.
- If under 16, must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult. (In fact, we encourage families to work together! Saturday workdays are great for families. Click here to request a day.)
Farm, Orchard, and GRUB (FOG) Division.
- Debbie Cline at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 806-535-4563
- Bryan Cline at email@example.com or call 806-577-2183
- Or the main farm number 806-748-1424
* Groups desiring to work on Saturday workdays should register online or with Berry Massey, Volunteer Coordinator, 806-763-3003 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org), by Thursday one week before the week you are going to work.
* Groups or individuals who would like to volunteer at the annual U Can Share Food Drive may contact the Food Bank at 806-763-3003 (email: email@example.com). (Note: Volunteers for U Can Share need to be at least high school age.) The site of the 2012 drive will be United Supermarket at 82nd and Frankford St.
* Volunteers are needed throughout the year for other special events. These include: Summer of Sharing Food Drive (June/July); Hunger Awareness Month Activities (Sep.); Hunger Heroes Luncheon (September), 24Hour Food Drive (Sept/Oct) and the UCan Share Food Drive in December (see above for details). Contact the Food Bank for more information.
South Plains Food Bank, Inc.
Food Bank Operations
4612 Locust Avenue Lubbock 79404
806/763-3003 Fax: 806/741-0850 firstname.lastname@example.org
George Elle Apple Orchard
56th and M. L. King Boulevard 806/771-1172
Carolyn Lanier Youth Farm
76th and Avenue B 806/748-1424
Farm, Orchard, and Garden Division Office:
806/763-3003, ext.35 Fax: 806/762-1437 email@example.com