Here are ways you can help make a difference this week:
- Preparing donated foods for distribution: such as, sorting donated food; repackaging dry and frozen food; packing dry and frozen.
- Helping in the kitchen.
- Working at reception desk (good telephone/people skills needed).
- Planning and working at various Food Bank on-going functions and special events.
- Opportunities are also available at Second Helpings soup kitchens and Kids Cafe programs. Contact the Food Bank for referrals to volunteer with these programs.
Regular Volunteer OpportunitiesVolunteer Hours:
To become a volunteer:
- Regular hours are available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday work days are scheduled throughout the year from 9:00 a.m. to Noon.
- Individuals are welcome.
- Groups working in the warehouse during regular hours (Monday through Friday) need to schedule with Berry Massey, Volunteer Coordinator, 806-763-3003, (email: email@example.com).
- Volunteers for the reception desk and special events should contact Berry Massey, Volunteer Coordinator, 806-763-3003, (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Training is provided as needed.
Qualifications to be a Food Bank Volunteer are easy:
Volunteer Opportunities with other South Plains Food Bank, Inc. Divisions:
- A willingness to work.
- Ability to abide by the safety rules of a working warehouse.
* This includes wearing warehouse-appropriate clothing: closed-toed shoes (tennis shoes or work boots are preferred), long pants/jeans or walking shorts, no tank or crop tops.
- If under 16, must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult. (In fact, we encourage families to work together! Saturday workdays are great for families. Click here to request a day.)
Farm, Orchard, and GRUB (FOG) Division.
- Debbie Cline at email@example.com or call 806-535-4563
- Bryan Cline at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 806-577-2183
- Or the main farm number 806-748-1424
* Groups desiring to work on Saturday workdays should register online or with Berry Massey, Volunteer Coordinator, 806-763-3003 (email: email@example.com), by Thursday one week before the week you are going to work.
* Groups or individuals who would like to volunteer at the annual U Can Share Food Drive may contact the Food Bank at 806-763-3003 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). (Note: Volunteers for U Can Share need to be at least high school age.) The site of the 2012 drive will be United Supermarket at 82nd and Frankford St.
* Volunteers are needed throughout the year for other special events. These include: SPFB Golf Tournament (May); Hunger Awareness Month Activities (Sep.); Can Food Drive (June/July); School Supply Drive (July/August); Octoberfast (October). Contact the Food Bank for more information.
South Plains Food Bank, Inc.
Food Bank Operations
4612 Locust Avenue Lubbock 79404
806/763-3003 Fax: 806/741-0850 email@example.com
George Elle Apple Orchard
56th and M. L. King Boulevard 806/771-1172
Carolyn Lanier Youth Farm
76th and Avenue B 806/748-1424
Farm, Orchard, and Garden Division Office:
806/763-3003, ext.35 Fax: 806/762-1437 firstname.lastname@example.org